Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Day I Became Mommy

I wanted to back track in this blog and tell the story of my beautiful boy's birthday. When I first found out I was pregnant, John and I were pretty set on a waterbirth. I began researching centers or hospitals but none offered waterbirth so we made the decision to have our baby at home in the hot tub we had then. Now it was time to find a midwife. We had interviewed 3 and decided on our favorite, Mary Langolis. She was the closest to our home and the one I felt most comfortable with. Fast forward through morning sickness, appointments, and a hospital stay to the Monday before my baby was born. I saw the midwife who examed me and though I was late she said I was progressing great and to continue my regular activities but to also get some rest. Now forward to Friday July 30th. The morning started with John and I going to court over a traffic ticket. Afterwards, we ran around paying fines and stopped at Walmart. While walking in Walmart I mentioned to John that I was getting some pains but it could be from humger so we went for breakfast then to get our car out of impound. I went home and took a nap and then we were off to the Toyota dealership in search of a new family car. We test drove a car and then spent the next few hours haggling until I told John I was tired and hungry. We went home and grabbed Carl's Jr for dinner (I know terribly unhealthy) and I decided to go to bed and it was about 11pm. John said he was going to drain the hot tub so the water wouldn't get stale, thinking there was no way the baby was coming tonight. John crawled into bed about 1am having somewhat finished emptying the tub. I tossed and turned most of the night feeling as though my dinner wasn't settling with me. I awoke about 2am just feeling sick to my stomach. I paced around from the bathroom to bed for about 30 minutes then woke up John to say something didn't feel ok. He was still half asleep until he heard me say *gory detail* I'm bleeding. He was up instantly phoning Mary. I talked to her in the calmest voice I could muster and said I couldnt tell if I was having contractions, seeing as I have never had them before. She asked if I wanted her to come and I said no, I would call her when it got closer. I believe as soon as I got off the phone, all hell broke loose and I was in pain! I asked John to help me to the shower (a dual head!) and I sat down on a folding chair with both heads blasting water on me as I screamed and moaned. John ran feverishly trying desperately to fill the tub he just drained. I guess because of my moaning and inability to communicate, John couldn't seem to time my contractions. He called Mary once again to which she said she was already on her way. When Mary arrived she looked at me and asked if the baby was coming which I just screamed as a reply and she began barking orders to John. Much of what happened between Mary and John was a blur as I focused on my task at hand. Mary brought a birthing stool in to replace the chair I was on and then things moved fast. Five minutes in, my water broke and John was in the shower behind me pushing on my back and three minutes later the baby was out and in my arms. John cried and Mary asked what the baby was as we left the sex a suprise until the birth. I opened the towel to reveal our baby boy, Christian. The next step was moving me from the shower to the bed then cutting cords and exams for him and me amidst family calling to find out what happened. When all was said and done I was in labor for about 1-2 1/2 hours for my first born. I loved having my baby at home in privacy and it will forever be my first choice for future children. Mary now owns a birth center, Blossom Birth Center which you can visit the website. Hope this tale warmed your hearts, now I'm gonna go play with my baby boy! Also, the appointment I had the Monday before he was born (which he was born Saturday morning at 5:42am), the midwife later told us I was dilated 4 cms! Christian Michael born July 31, 2010 @ 5:42am 7lbs, 6ozs, 21in.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment